Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cherry Coke Zero Frame for my Sister!



Here in the South I grew up with Cherry Smash and Vanilla Coke.  Love vanilla but never really enjoyed it in my fountain Coca Colas.  However, the cherry version and I have lots of history and I love it!  (and Cheerwine,too but that's another story for another day)  
I know, I know, sodas aren't good for you with all the coloring, the sugar, the acid, etc.  But I really enjoy a cold Cherry Coke Zero once in a while.  
And so does my sister, Nancy.  Her family nickname is Gicki and the name suits her cute self well!  How cute is that name?   Instead of coffee in the morning she pops a Coke!  So, I had been thinking and wondering how to make something for her using the coke cans.

  Everything was falling into place for a frame but I was struggling with how to make the flowers.  Then I saw a post on Crissy's Craft where she makes the most beautiful flower from a tin can.  I was battling a burdensome tin cutter when all I needed were some good scissors!  
Thank you Cris!  


So, here is how it went down.....
Frame I had
Black, Red, White, and Reddish Purple Acrylic craft paint - colors on the can)
Scissors
Clean Cherry Coke Zero Cans
Sandpaper
Gorilla Glue
Pieces of chalk for tracing
Red Sharpie paint pen
Loki Cola Font from Dafont.com

I painted the first layer white on the frame.  And yep - it is hanging on a broken tree limb.  We had so many storms this Spring and I am using them whenever I can.  (You know you are a TRUE hoarder when you save broken tree limbs.   Posts coming soon!  Just wait until you see what I did with some crooked sticks and a few small tree trunks)




For the next layer I mixed some red and blue paint to match the magenta color on the cans  (at the top of the can)
Last coat was black with some white glazing over it.
Then I found the Loki Cola font at dafont.com 
Printed it out and covered the back side with chalk.  Placed the name on the frame and used a ball point pen to trace around it to create a chalk outline.
Then my daughter, Julia, was so sweet to fill in the name with a red Sharpie paint pen just because she does it so much better than me   Thanks Julz!
Here is the main flower made using Crissy's metal flower  instructions
Add her name, Gicki, in the Cola font that Julia painted.  Then, I started to sandpaper and distress so that each color (layer) could show.  Not quite finished yet but hope you get the idea here
Here is a quick look of it on top of one of my new shutter projects.  :) 
FYI It's turning blue  :)
Linking to these lovely parties



THURSDAY
Momnivore's Dilemma - Creative Juice Thursday
Somewhat Simple - Strut Your Stuff
The Shabby Creek Cottage - Transformation Thursday
A Little Knick Knack- Everything but the Kitchen Sink
Kreative Korner - Tea Time Thursdays
A Creative Princess - It's a Party!
My Repurposed Life - Catch as Catch Can


Saved by Love Creations Thrifty Thursday
House of Hepworths - Hookin Up with HoH
Fireflies and Jellybeans - Show off Your Stuff
Paisley Passions - Thrilling Thursday
FRIDAY
delicate CONSTRUCTION - Delicately Constructed Fridays
The Thrifty Groove - Thrifty Things Friday
Bacon Time with the Hungry Hungry Hypo - Party Mindie Style
Spunky Junky -  Feature Friday
504 Main Tickled Pink
Chic on a Shoestring-Flaunt It Friday
Remodelaholic - Friday Remodelaholic
Fingerprints on the Fridge - Feature Yourself Friday
The Shabby Nest - Frugal Friday 
Whipperberry - Friday Flair
Serenity Now - Weekend Bloggy Reading
At the Picket Fence - Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Fridays
My Romantic Home- Show and Tell Friday 
Just a Girl - Show and Share Day
Sassy Sites - Free For All Friday
Mommaskindacrafty   - Fantabulous Friday 
It's a Hodge Podge Life - Friday
Family Ever After - Once Upon a Weekend

7 comments:

  1. Love the frame you are sooooo creative! what a beautiful detail!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ido
    Thank you so much Ido! It was fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just so fun! I think your sister is going to love it! Thank you for joining TTF and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so adorable and sweet. My sister also looooves cherry coke zero, maybe I'll try this for her next birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Thank you so much for sharing at It's a Party! Oh, and I featured this last Saturday! Can't wait to see what you come up with this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea :) I wish I was there to see your sister's reaction on receiving it.

    Thanks for linking up at Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner and adding to the fun. The party for this week is going on... hope to see you there again :)

    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-4.html

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you are here! Please leave a comment or note or whatever it takes so I can get to know you too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover